Followers

21 November 2021

 THE NUN’S STORY


Beyond the gate a tempting glimpse
of verdant pastures and rippling streams,
kept alive the spark of hope that
lit my heart and kindled dreams.

I chose this life while still a child
to serve the Lord with constancy
but age and illness dim the flame
of faith that once burned bright in me.

Just nine are left within these walls
and I am bound by vows and duty.
I must remain until I die,
so I will turn away from beauty.

I’ve watched my sisters one by one
slide into illness, then to death.
No stone is marked to prove they lived
and served the Lord with every breath.

Locked in silence we make our way
to chapel from refectory,
with painful steps and halting gait
to hear the benedictory.

But in my cell at dead of night
my mind returns to childhood days
when I was free to bathe in streams,
and wander through His verdant ways.

No comments: